Saturday, June 20, 2020

Honeysuckle and Poison Ivy


In the 60’s I worked for an old lady in Churchville, Maryland.  Miss Vogel was a tough old bird and knew exactly what she wanted.  And my job was not to think but do exactly what she told me to do.  She gave me instructions and then went about her business.  But, make no mistake, she would be back to inspect what she had told me to do.  She had a long driveway that was edged with a low stone wall on each side.  There was a second entrance for trucks to use, but her front driveway was reserved for a grand entrance.  Climbing all over the stone wall was honeysuckle.  In the spring it had a subtle fragrance that added to the driveway’s grand effect.  But the honeysuckle was an enemy of mine.  It seemed that it grew a foot every night.  Each month I had to trim the honeysuckle back to keep it off the driveway.  But Miss Vogel would not let me cut it back too far because she liked it.  But as much as she liked the honeysuckle, I hated it.  Because hidden in the honeysuckle was poison ivy.  And every month I would get a rash of poison ivy while cutting back the honeysuckle.  Hey, are there insidious sins in your life that cause you problems?  Problems that keep popping up day after day?  Year after year?  You never seem to completely deal with them.  If you overcome them, they just pop up again.  Paul asked the Lord to remove his problems in II Co 12:9.  But the dear Lord said to Paul, “… My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”  Then Paul added, “Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”  Hey, does God get glory in your life as you overcome chronic sins?  Or does Satan get the upper hand in your life when you let these sins have control?  Think about it.  Make good choices each day.  Glorify God in your life.  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment