Sunday, June 28, 2020

Camp Pamadeva


When I was twelve years old, I went to Camp Pamadeva in Hanover, Pennsylvania.  Pamadeva is an acronym for Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia.  The camp is is still in existence and is known as Penngrove Retreat.  We had a list of what to bring and what NOT to bring.  I didn’t realize it, but one item was essential: the flashlight.  The camp was a beautiful setting in the daylight hours with huge old trees everywhere, but at night, it was a terror.  I couldn’t go anywhere in the dark without tripping on a tree root!  Hence the importance of the flashlight.  Most campers preferred the nickname, Camp Root!  I enjoyed the preaching, the singing, and the games, but when walking at night, I had to concentrate on the ground with flashlight one step ahead.  Otherwise I would be sure to stumble and fall.  Hey, there are dangers in life as well.  Dangers that we cannot see because they are shrouded in the future.  But, make no mistake, they are there, just lurking ahead in the darkness of tomorrow.  David said in Psalm 119:105, “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”  God’s Word will dispel the darkness of the future and give us the direction that we need.  Read it the Bible.  Study it.  It will expose the roots of stumbling that lurk in your future, and the Bible will take you safely to your eternal home on high.  You can count on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment