Friday, April 16, 2021

Easter Vacation


Two weeks ago, I was getting onto I-75 northbound when a Bobo was backing down the ramp.  I can’t stand it when people do dangerous things disregarding laws meant to keep us safe.  But, being the nice person that I am, I went around him and continued on my way … only to notice too late that the entire freeway was stopped.  I take back all of the things that I just said about the bad driver.  But not the Bobo part.  The next exit was three miles ahead, so I just settled down into being late.  TDOT is working on the 75/24 intersection, but this was exceptionally backed up.  My wife remarked about spring break, and I realized that was the problem.  It was Saturday (extra drivers) with construction ahead (extra slowing) and spring break (extra out-of-town people).  A perfect storm had converged on me.  But then, the next morning, I fairly flew down the highway.  No congestion at all.  Not even at the construction area.  Hey, the workers weren’t even on the job!  Then wife remarked that it was Easter Sunday, and everyone was at home getting ready for a big family meal.  It was just then that I came to the sad realization that spring break was more popular than Easter Sunday.  I was reminded of the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:13&14, “… broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat. (Saturday on I-75) … and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Easter Sunday on I-75)”  Hey, there’s nothing wrong with a vacation.  But neglecting Easter Sunday morning?!  Bad form.  I think we need to be old-school and call it “Easter Vacation” to remind ourselves of the purpose behind the time off.  “Thank you ,Lord, for reminding me of your resurrection.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment