Saturday, April 17, 2021

Happy Spiritual Birthday to Me

 


Today is a special day for me.  In 1956 as a six-year-old little boy, I was attending a revival meeting at Maple View Baptist Church.  Rev. Gwen Blackburn preached a powerful message and I was under Holy Spirit conviction.  My friend, Miles Howell, sitting beside me was trying to convince me that I needed to respond to the invitation.  I just couldn’t; I was frozen.  Our pastor noticed the commotion and came back to me.  He asked if I wanted to be saved and said that I did.  Pastor Blackburn gave me a quarter and said, “This is for you,” and offered me the quarter.  I took it.  Then he said, “Gerald, salvation is like you receiving that quarter.  I offered it to you and you took it.  It was a free gift.  And God’s gift of salvation is free to you for the taking.”  That evening, April 17, 1956, I took God’s offer of salvation.  As a six-year-old, I knew that I was a sinner, and that evening, God saved my soul and accepted me into His forever family.  I was spiritually born again.  Hey, you can know for sure that you’re on your way to heaven too.  Paul said in Romans 10:9, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”  That sounds pretty sure, doesn’t it?  Then Paul goes on to say in verse 13, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”  Hey, just like a six-year-old boy, you can KNOW that you are accepted into God’s forever family.  What a wonderful, powerful concept.  Hey, accept God’s gift of salvation.  It’s free.  Free, free, free.

No comments:

Post a Comment