Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Names Are Important

 

I was a good little boy in high school.  That’s because I was afraid of my dad.  If I got into trouble in school, I would be in trouble with my dad.  Now don’t get me wrong, my dad was not abusive, I just knew that my dad meant business.  But I had a ninth grade in high school, I had a teacher who provoked me into trouble.  Let me explain:  Mr. Archer called the roll each day in physical science and turned in the attendance report to the principal’s office.  When Mr. Archer got to my name, he called “William Whitely”.  That’s because my full name is Billy Gerald Whitely Jr.  But for Mr. Archer, “Billy” would not do.  He was proper like that.  He called me “William”.  I politely corrected him, and he went on.  The next day, Mr. Archer called, “William Whitely” and I again politely corrected him.  On the third day of school, Mr. Archer called the roll and called “William Whitely”, and I didn’t answer.  That’s because my name isn’t “William Whitely”.  The next morning, I was called into the principal’s office for cutting physical science class.  I told the principal that I was in class, but that Mr. Archer insisted on calling me by the wrong name, and I just didn’t answer the roll.  Dr. Lightcap seemed amused and sent me back to class.  The next day, when Mr. Archer called the roll, he called “Billy Whitely”, and I answered, “Present”.  Hey, names are important.  At least, I think so!  But there is a name that is above every name: the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!  Paul said in Philippians 2:9-11, “ Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”  My name is important to me, but the name of Jesus should be important to you.  Have you trusted in the name Of Jesus?  Do it now while He can be your Savior, not when He will be your Judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment