Thursday, April 22, 2021

Night Shift

 

In 1972 I quit my printing job at Blue Cross to go to work for Mueller Company.  Mueller in Chattanooga was an iron foundry that made cast iron gate valves and fire hydrants.  It was hot and dirty but paid well.  I had this idea that if I am going to trade 8 hours of my life that I will never get back, I had better make all of the money that I can during that eight-hour shift.  And then in 1974 I went back to college, so I worked afternoon and night shift to leave mornings free for school.  It was a sacrifice for me and for my dear wife.  Although I worked night shift, I never really got used to night shift.  When my week was over and I slept at night on Saturday and Sunday nights, I was over night shift … only to put my body through the sleep deprivation once again starting Monday night.  After losing sleep for 24 hours, I could get quite cranky (ask my wife privately).  Hey, I understand how Peter felt in Luke chapter 5.  Jesus was preaching beside the Sea of Galilee while Peter had worked all night and was washing and mending his nets.  When Jesus finished his sermon, He told Peter to launch out into the deep for a huge catch of fish.  Simon Peter answered Jesus sharply because first, Simon was the fishing expert and Jesus was just a carpenter (and a washed out one at that).  And secondly, Peter had fished all night without so much as a bite.  Luke 5:5, “And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.”  Peter’s words fairly dripped with sarcasm.  But Simon obeyed Jesus and ended up catching so many fish that he had to call in a second boat.  Hey, has Jesus asked you to go above and beyond what you know to be logical?  Is Jesus getting on your last nerve?  Are you tired of Jesus interfering in your lifestyle?  Well, get over it!  Jesus is Lord and you are follower.  So deal with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment