Thursday, May 4, 2023

Hearer or Doer?


 

We have two bathrooms in our house - a wonderful arrangement: I use the front bathroom and my wife uses the back one.  I remodeled the back bathroom two years ago and installed a wider mirror.  Yesterday, as I was looking in the bigger mirror, I saw the back of a trim piece that had been hidden from view here-to-fore.  And I had forgotten to paint it!  It wasn’t where anyone could see … unless they looked in the mirror just like I did.  Now I must find that can of paint and finish the job that I thought was done two years ago.  I was reminded of what James said in his epistle.  James said that there are some folk who hear the Bible taught and profit from what they have heard.  But then there are other folk who hear the Bible taught and promptly forget what they have heard.  They’re like looking in a mirror and promptly forgetting what they’ve seen.  No improvement at all!  They’re wasting their time.  But those who obey the Biblical teaching that they hear are making progress.  James said in James 1:25, “But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.”  Hey, are you a casual church attender?  And do you half-heartedly listen while at church?  Or do you listen intently to the preacher?  Are you a doer of the Word?  If you are, James said that you will be blessed of God!  Hey, bored or blessed: the choice is up to you.  Now about that can of paint …

No comments:

Post a Comment