Saturday, May 27, 2023

Hidden Problems

 


This afternoon, my benchtop planer died.  A sad day, because I had several pallet skids that I needed to plane for a project that I am currently working on.  I should have known that a problem was developing because of a chattering noise that started yesterday.  I replaced the two knives, but the noise was still there.  And today, the planer started smoking!  When I unscrewed the right side cover, I found the drive belt was worn, the belt shroud was melting, the lockdown nut was loose, and the woodruff key sheared.  If you didn’t understand anything that you just read, my planer was just busted.  Problems had been growing inside where I couldn’t see them.  I mistakenly thought that the increasing noise was from normal wear of the cutter knives.  I should have known better.  I should have investigated before it was too late.  And isn’t that the way it is in life.  When the divorce papers are served, there were warnings months earlier that went unnoticed.  When that one phone call comes from the police station, there were indications that a parent should have picked up on.  When the daughter comes out of the bathroom in tears with a home pregnancy test in hand, there were warning signs.  Promiscuous behavior; skimpy dresses; lewd language.  David said in Psalm 51:10&12, “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.”  Hey, wake up!  Address the warnings in your life.  Don’t ignore them.  Don’t be like me and my planer.  Seek out the Lord right now.  You have much more at stake than a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment