Tuesday, May 23, 2023

What Time Is It?


 

My wife had acid reflux last night, so she slept in the recliner in the living room.  I got up at 4:15 this morning to get ready for dialysis at 5:30.  I posted my facebook post, and then went into the living room to wake up Kathy.  I kissed her on the head, and she roused … but only a little.  She mumbled, “grbnltexmrnrthksot.”   I smiled, pulled the recliner to an upright position, and rubbed her back for a minute.  Then she said, “What time is it?”  So I stepped into the dark kitchen and looked at the coffeemaker: 4:36 am.  But the clock on the stove said 4:35 am, and the microwave above it said 4:37 am.  Hmmmmm.  What time was it?  I took out my cell phone and it said 4:35 am.  I trust the cell phone because it pings off the towers that are all calibrated from who-knows-where.  But my coffeemaker, stove, and microwave are calibrated by … well, … by me.  And I set them as accurately as I can using (you guessed it) my cell phone.  Hey, in life, you will get a lot of advice from many people, but most of the advice will be conflicting.  My rule of thumb is to get advice from someone older than me (which is getting harder and harder each year) or to get advice from the Bible.  After all, God made me, and God knows exactly what is best for me.  Colossians 2:3, “In whom (God) are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.”  So, I read a chapter from the book of proverbs each day (it has 31 chapters and there are 31 days in most months) and calibrate my life to the Creator of the Universe.  Hey, if you read the Bible AND obey what you read, you will do well.  Calibrate everything that you do to the Bible, God’s Holy Word.  You’ll never regret that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment