Saturday, May 13, 2023

Six-Car Pile-Up


 

A few years ago, I had Kathy’s car worked on by John M.  Actually, it is John McCarthy, at John Ross Pure Gas Station, (706) 866-3682.  He does good work and deserves a shout-out.  I have a second vehicle, but it is a truck, and my wife can’t get in and out of it, so her friend, Marleen, took her to church Wednesday night in her SUV.  After church, Kathy and Marleen left for home while I stopped by a widow’s house to take her garbage can to the street.  So, Kathy and Marleen were a few minutes ahead of me.  It had been raining all day, and I slipped into the traffic flow on the interstate with wipers on.  I just topped the hill into Georgia when I saw brake-lights ahead.  Cars were slowing and trucks were jamming on their brakes.  I had moved only a few hundred yards when I saw everyone merging right.  Then I saw the smashed cars on the left.  One, two, then several came into view as I approached them in the dark.  A police car had just arrived, and I saw another one coming up behind me.  As I passed mangled vehicles, I looked for Marleen’s little SUV, but the traffic flow pushed me past the accident.  I called Marleen’s cell phone, but she didn’t answer.  I called Kathy, and after four rings she answered.  I was never so glad to hear her voice.  They were just pulling into our sub-division.  My wife was ahead of the six-car pile-up by about five minutes, and I was behind it by about one minute.  James said in James 4:14, “… For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.”  Life is fleeting.  Make your peace with your Maker while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment