Sunday, October 30, 2016

Philemon 1:17-19



Philemon 1:17-19 If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself. If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account; I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides. Paul was writing to Philemon on behalf of Onesimus. Onesimus had run away from Philemon, his lawful master, and probably stolen some stuff to take with him when he left. But now, Onesimus was a Christian; he was a changed man. So Paul put it this way, “Philemon, you owe me big time, because I introduced you to Jesus Christ. So, I am sending Onesimus back to you a changed man. If he owes you anything that he stole when he ran away, put it on my account. Although, Philemon, remember that you owe me a bunch!” So Paul was smoothing things over between Philemon and Onesimus. Paul knew that Onesimus was a changed man and would be a good worker for Philemon. So Paul was asking this favor of Philemon. But he was reminding Philemon that he already owed Paul. Paul was pretty sharp. He knew how to get people together. And that’s what Brothers in Christ do. They smooth over problems and make things right. And that’s a great lesson for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment