Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Advocate

 


In 1958, my father bought some property in Maryland and moved our trailer onto it.  His mother, my Granny Whitely bought a lot next door and moved her trailer onto it.  I grew up with my granny next door, which was very convenient.  When I was in trouble at home, I went over to granny’s and got her on my side early, which was never too hard to do.  Grandparents are pushovers for their grandchildren.  I know first-hand.  Once I was grounded from watching TV until I got my grades up.  But my grades never came up in twelve years, so my grounding was more like a life sentence.  I went over to Granny Whitely’s trailer moping.  She asked what the matter was, and I told her I was grounded from watching TV.  She said, “Now you just sit right down here on the couch and watch ‘My Friend, Flicka’ on TV, and I’ll take care of your daddy.”  I did, and she did.  Hey, it’s good to have someone important on your side.  And I’m glad that Jesus is on my side.  After the resurrection of Jesus Christ, He ascended back up to His heavenly Father.  The old apostle John said in I John 2:1, “... And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”  So, what is an advocate?  Well, an advocate is a lawyer.  And I’m glad to have Jesus Christ as my defense lawyer pleading my case before our heavenly Father.  Jesus Christ is taking my part, just like Granny Whitely took my part.  Well, not quite.  Jesus is infinitely more effective than Granny Whitely.  Don’t you think?!

No comments:

Post a Comment