Friday, January 22, 2021

Religion Teacher

 


In 2004 we visited the village of Bazna, Romania and distributed Scriptures.  Pastor Timothy Manta had us speak to the young people on Saturday and preach in his church on Sunday.  Monday morning, we went to a nearby high school to visit the English class taught by his wife, Rodica.  Johnnie Jones spoke in the English class and I spoke in her Baptist religion class that afternoon.  At lunch, I ate with the teachers and Rodica introduced me to the Orthodox Religion teacher.  She invited me to speak to her class that afternoon, so, I agreed.  I had 11”X17” flash cards on the Creation story, and Rodica translated.  As I spoke, I held up the large format cards for the class and told the story of Adam and Eve.  I noticed that the Orthodox teacher standing beside me was interested in the pictures, so after I showed each card to the students, I turned the card so that the teacher could see it too.  I explained sin, the fall of man, and the animal that God slew in order to provide the coverings for Adam and Eve’s shame.  Then I showed a picture of Jesus Christ on the Cross and explained the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross for our sins.  God’s love for us shown on Calvary was quite moving.  After class the teacher remarked that she had never heard Creation explained that way.  Wow!  She had a master’s degree in religion but didn’t know God’s plan to redeem us all!  Paul explained it in Romans 10:17, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”  Reading and understanding the Scriptures is paramount.  I gave a John/Romans Scripture portion to each student that day, and one for the teacher.  I pray that they understood and received the life-changing Word of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment