Monday, January 18, 2021

Box Kite


When I was young, I lived in the country, but there were plenty of neighbor boys to play with.  We had sleds in the winter and bikes in the summer.  We made four-wheel wooden go carts with steering and brakes.  Well, the brakes worked most of the time.  When spring winds blew steady, we bought kites.  I had a box kite that was extremely stable.  I spent most of my allowance on string and enjoyed getting my kite out really, really far.  My dad worked at a factory and brought home some aluminum foil for me to use to waterproof my box kite.  This foil was a special alloy that gave it strength and rigidity.  I would let the aluminum-clad kite out several hundred feet, tie it to a fencepost, and it would still be there the next morning.  That is until the winds shifted, and the kite came down.  Then I followed the string rolling it up as I went.  If the string went over a tree, I would cut it at one side, pull the string through the tree, and re-tie it on the other side.  I enjoyed flying my kite out so far that it almost disappeared.  I would strain to see where it was.  But I knew that my kite was still up in the air because there was that constant tug on the line.  Hey, that’s exactly how the blessed Holy Spirit is in my life.  I know that He is real, and I know that He is there because He constantly tugs on my heartstrings.  When I would like to lose my temper, when I would want to get angry at someone, when I would like to tell a lie … the Holy Spirit tugs at my heart and keeps me on the right path.  Jesus said in John 14:26, “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”  The Holy Spirit is my constant companion and guide to keep me following the right way.  I’m so glad that Jesus didn’t leave me alone.  I’m glad Jesus gave me the Holy Spirit as a guide, a teacher, and a comforter.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment