Monday, January 11, 2021

Example


I picked up my grandson, Bennett from school Friday.  I knew exactly what he was going to say.  “Granddaddy, can we go by Wal-Mart?”  You see, Bennett collects Hot Wheels and likes to take every opportunity to go to a store and look for a new one.  Which is rare, because he has eight or nine hundred cars!  Bennett examines the wheels, the color of the body of the car, and the style of the car.  I don’t mind buying him cars, because that’s what Granddaddy’s are for: buying toys for their grandsons.  I told Bennett that he could pick out three cars.  He picked up eight cars that he liked and then narrowed them down to six, and then began to negotiate.  I reminded him that there would be another day, so he selected his final three, and we bought them.  In the truck, Bennett quickly tore open the packaging to examine the cars for flaws.  He explained that sometimes the molds leave plastic burs sticking out and sometimes the wheels don’t roll right.  Hey, Bennett knows his stuff!  So, I began to think.  If Bennet was predictable, does that mean that mean that the reverse is true?  When Granddaddy is gone, what will Bennett remember about me?  Was I predictable?  Will Bennett remember how I read my Bible?  Will he remember that I always went to church?  Will he remember that I was honest and kind and loving?  That is a heavy responsibility for me as a grandfather.  Paul told young Timothy in II Timothy 2:2, “And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.”  I will not always be there to teach my grandson, and my grandson will not always be a little boy.  I must teach him to be a Godly Christian man … by my example … while I can.  Hey, who is watching you?  Is it time for you to get serious about your Christian life?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment