Friday, January 8, 2021

Snow Days

 


In 1960 we had an exceptionally cold winter with record snowfalls in Joppa, Maryland.  We were off school so much that we had to go five extra days in June to make up lost snow days.  I was excited to get the days off in December, but not excited to make them up in June.  Oh, well …  My brother and I would put on our heavy coats, scarves, gloves, hats, and rubber boots (four-buckle-artics) and play in the snow until our hands and feet were numb.  Then inside to warm up and let our clothes dry over warm pipes for the next adventure outside.  I can still remember the smell of steaming wool clothing hung over heating pipes.  My brother and I would roll huge snowballs to make snow forts.  Trouble began when we argued over the one snow shovel.  We tried to take turns using the shovel, but urgency overcame diplomacy and a fight erupted.  I had two hands pulling on the shovel and my younger brother had two hands pulling back.  He suddenly let go and I hit myself in the forehead with the snow shovel.  Blood spurted from above my eyebrow and it took a trip to the doctor’s and three stitches to close up the wound.  Maybe I won and maybe I didn’t.  Hey, have you ever struggled to win in a situation only to realize that it wasn’t worth fighting for?  The victory is hollow when you look back at the hurt feelings and damaged relationships left behind.  Hey, it’s the same in our spiritual struggles.  We spend our time at work chasing money but miss our children growing up.  We sacrifice relationships until it’s too late.  Moses said in Psalm 90:9&10, “For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told. The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.”  Let’s be smart and listen to the advice of God BEFORE it’s too late.  Read the Bible (Proverbs).  Do things God’s way.  Put God first in your life, and you’ll never be sorry that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment