Sunday, June 27, 2021

Are You a Planner or an Improviser?

Are you a planner or an improviser?  I like to be organized (I am CDO - that’s OCD in alphabetical order, as it should be).  But I can improvise if I get caught unorganized.  Years ago, my school principal (who was also my pastor and my friend) insisted that I complete my lesson plans on time.  I chaffed at the directive.  I reasoned, “I am a seasoned teacher.  I shouldn’t have to write everything down.”  But after two confrontations, I submitted.  And you know what?  With written lesson plans, I became an even better teacher (I was one of three outstanding teachers in Tennessee in 1989).  And at the end of the school year, I had to go into my principal’s office and thank my principal for making me do my job.  Confrontation isn’t easy, but it is often necessary to accomplish the job.  Hey, someone has to be the boss and someone has to be the follower.  Paul said in Philippians 3:7&8, “But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung (manure), that I may win Christ.”  Wow!  Those are powerful verses!  We must submit to Jesus and be a follower of His leading.  And we must submit to one another in the workplace as we submit to the Lord.  After all, whether we are organized or whether we are creative, we must work with other people.  And we must get along with people, for people are more important than our planning … or lack of planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment