Sunday, June 13, 2021

Dress Code

In 1969 one of the girls’ dorms sponsored a Sadie Hawkins party and Jerry G. invited me to go (Just Google Sadie Hawkins if you are confused).  The next day at lunch, she was a little embarrassed and said, “I feel awkward asking you out to the dorm party.”  So I said, “Well, would it be OK if I just asked you out?”  She smiled and said, “Sure!”  That Friday, I put on my blue pants, my light blue shirt, my narrow tie (they were in style back then), my ox blood penny loafers (again, in style back then), and my madras sport jacket (do I need to say it again? it was in style back then).  Just before I left the dorm, I looked at myself in the mirror and stood up a little straighter.  I thought, “You look pretty good!”  But when I got onto the school bus with the other college students to go to the party, my heart sank.  Everyone else had on jeans and sweatshirts!  I sat down beside Jerry, and it was her turn to ease my embarrassment.  She said, “Oh, don’t worry about it.  You look great!”  I slipped out of my tie and jacket, rolled up my shirt sleeves, and blended in a little better.  You see, I had forgotten to ask about the dress code.  Obviously, a major faux pas.  Hey, Jesus told a parable of a guest who showed up at a wedding without having on a wedding garment.  The fellow was kicked out of the venue by the king!  But I’m glad that when I reach heaven, I won’t have to worry about what to wear.  In John’s vision, he saw the redeemed of all ages, dressed in pure white robes!  John said in Revelation 6:11, “And white robes were given unto every one of them …”  I don’t have to buy my white robe at Wal-Mart before I leave this earth.  Jesus Himself will provide it for me!  Hey, do you have your white robe reserved for you in heaven?  If you don’t, it’s not too late.  Trust in Jesus and He’ll have a robe ready for you, when you meet in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment