Monday, June 7, 2021

Repurposed


I have an inquisitive mind.  Often, it gets me into trouble, but at least, it has proved to be interesting.  Last week, my dear wife was in the hospital, and each time the nurse drew blood, she used a new elastic band on Kathy’s arm.  So I had an idea.  I brought the discarded bands home and made slingshots for my grandchildren!  The slingshots were on the same pattern that my dad had used for me, only he used tire innertubes trimmed down.  These hospital bands were much more uniform with better elasticity.  Eureka!  A better slingshot.  But, alas, my grandsons’ mothers did not appreciate my ingenuity and would not let the boys take their slingshots home.  The slingshots had to remain at granddaddy’s house.  I think that they’re on the “contraband” list.  Hey, like the hospital elastic bands, there is another item in our culture that has been repurposed: the cross of Jesus. You would never think of using a little gold electric chair as jewelry, but gold crosses are common.  And now, the “old rugged cross” that Jesus died upon is something that we hold dear.  I Corinthians 1:18, “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.”  The cross that was a terrible instrument of death for Jesus Christ has become a wondrous attraction for us.  And it is dear to us because our salvation was bought on that cross.  What was once despised is now revered; what was once ugly is now cherished; what was once death is now life.  Hey, I’m proud of the cross, aren’t you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment