Friday, June 18, 2021

Baker Shoes


In 1967, I worked at Baker shoes in Eastgate Mall.  We worked on commission.  What we sold was what we were paid.  So the boss hired all the workers that he could.  It only cost him the time to train them.  The good salesmen stayed, and the poor salesmen quit.  We usually rotated when a customer came in the door.  But Gary T. pushed himself ahead when a pretty girl came in.  One day, a plain looking girl walked in and Gary said, “Whitely, you’re up.”  So I waited on the customer.  She looked at several shoes and settled on a red and white pump.  Then she pulled out a sheet of paper from her purse and said, “I am the secretary for the Singing Mocs at UTC, and I’d like 38 pair of these shoes.  Here are the sizes.”  And she handed me the paper.  It was the biggest order that I ever had!  Solomon said in Psalm 37:25, “I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.”  God has taken care of me for all of these years, and He has promised to take care of me all the way home.  I can trust that He will!

No comments:

Post a Comment