Friday, February 17, 2023

Poor Eyesight


 

I was almost late for church Wednesday evening because of poor eyesight.  Let me explain.  Kathy and I got ready for church early enough.  She didn’t want any supper, so I got out a Banquet chicken pot pie. I turned the carton over and looked for the conventional oven temperature, which was in bold letters, and I preheated the oven to 350°.  I laid out my church clothes, washed up, and brushed my teeth.  I heard the oven beep, so I went back to the kitchen, pierced the top crust on the pot pie, and put it into the oven.  I set the timer for 33 minutes and finished getting ready for church.  But when the timer beeped at the end of 33 minutes, the pot pie was nowhere ready.  I retrieved the box from the trash to check the time and temperature and found my mistake.  The label read 350 calories, not 350 degrees!  The cooking temperature was 400° … in much smaller print.  It took another 20 minutes to finish cooking, and I was almost late for church.  Older eyes and poor assumptions were two big mistakes!  I remember in college when my eyes were much sharper.  We used hymnals in chapel, and I didn’t even need to get my hymnal out of the rack.  I could easily read the words from the person’s open hymnal a full row in front of me!  But not now ...  Jesus reminded us in Matthew 6:22 that “The light of the body is the eye.”  Poor eyesight is a problem, but poor spiritual eyesight is tragic!  When we focus our eyesight on temporal (physical) things, our focus is taken away from Jesus Christ.  Jesus should the center of our attention.  A poorly cooked pot pie is a problem, but a poorly lived life is a tragedy!  Hey, don’t just glance at your Bible, really focus on what the Bible says.  Read the Bible and heed its words.  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment