Saturday, February 4, 2023

Rearview Mirror


 

My dad taught me how to drive.  And if you knew my dad, that was an experience.  He was a harsh and unforgiving teacher, but he wanted me to be a safe driver.  I learned to drive on my dad’s 1958 VW beetle.  It had 36 hp with a five-speed manual transmission and a top speed of 50 mph … downhill.  My dad insisted that I use my mirrors to back up.  He would fuss if I twisted my neck to look backwards.  And almost sixty years later, every MWF when I get home (in the dark) and have to back up my steep driveway, curve around to the back, and up to the ramp and handrail, I am thankful that he made me use my mirrors.  And my children tell me the same thing because I taught them to drive just like my dad taught me to drive (I fussed at them too).  But, have you ever noticed that car mirrors are not as big as the windshield?  That’s because it is more important to see where you are going than where you have been.  But when you back up, you need the mirrors to see where you are going (backwards).  Hey, the same is true in life.  Look forward, but occasionally be reminded of where you have been.  Learn from the past (mistakes) but look to the future (successes).  Solomon said in Proverbs 22:28, “Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.”  Remember the past but look forward to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment