Sunday, February 26, 2023

Treasures

I have several treasures that, when I pass on, no one will see the value in them.  They will not even be sold in my estate sale.  They will be thrown into the trash.  And that is fine with me, because they are my treasures and no one else’s.  I have a white box with aluminum dividers in it that my dad made for me when I was in the fourth grade.  Miss Jones solicited entries for the Old Post Road elementary school science fair, and the box held my rock collection.  I won nothing, but I have the box from my first science fair in 1959.  I have a wooden shoe-shine box that I made in Mr. Swearingen’s shop class in the seventh grade at Edgewood high school in 1962.  Not too fancy, but my first woodworking project (other than treehouses and forts).  And I have a silver quarter, that was given to me by Pastor Blackburn, April 17, 1956.  I distinctly remember the date, because Brother Blackburn used that quarter to illustrate the gift of God’s eternal life to me.  As a six-year-old boy, he gave me that quarter and said, “Just like I gave you this quarter as a free gift, God offers you His gift of salvation bought and paid for my His dear Son, Jesus Christ.”  What a wonderful day that was, when I accepted God’s free gift of salvation and became a part of God’s forever family!  Hey, do you have any treasures?  It’s good to remember.  Solomon knew that it was good to be reminded of times gone by, and admonished us in Proverbs 22:28, “Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.”  Hey, remember the good times and remember the not-so-good times.  Enjoy the one and remember not to repeat the other.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment