Monday, April 8, 2024

Proverbs 2

 

I heard an old pastor say, “A Proverb a day keeps the devil away.”  And since there are 31 chapters in the book of Proverbs, I can read a chapter a day.  So, as I was reading Proverbs 2 last Tuesday (April 2), I noticed two grammatical structures.  Sorry, I’m an old English teacher, and old habits are hard to break.  First, Proverbs 2:1-5 is all one sentence!  I must read these verses all together as one thought.  Second, the word “if” is used three times and is followed by “then”.  Grammatically, Solomon used a conditional expression.  Solomon told his son (and us as we read along with his son) that “if” he would do three things, “then” something would result.  Just look at these five verses and the whole idea falls into place: Proverbs 2:1-5, “My son, IF thou wilt receive my words, AND hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, AND apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, IF thou criest after knowledge, AND liftest up thy voice for understanding; IF thou seekest her as silver, AND searchest for her as for hid treasures; THEN shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, AND find the knowledge of God.” (emphasis mine)  Hey, today, do you want to find the heart of God?  Well then just do what the previous four verses say to do!  Simple!  IF … THEN.  It’s like the railroad cars that follow the locomotive.  The power of the engine is always followed by the cars that simply trail along behind.  Hey, put God first in your life, and everything else will just trail along behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment