Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Reality

 

When I sleep at night, I like to wake up, look at the clock, and realize, “I have four more hours to sleep!”  I can smugly turn over and go back to sleep knowing that I have plenty of time before I must get up.  So, last night, I woke up, looked at the clock, and it was three o’clock.  I got up, went to the bathroom, and then snuggled back under the covers and went back to sleep.  Then I woke up, looked at the clock, and it was three fifteen and I really had to go to the bathroom!  My trip to the bathroom at three o’clock had only been a dream!  Am I confusing you?  Well, I was very confused myself at three fifteen!  I was so confused that I had to get fully awake to try to figure out what was going on.  And when I did, I couldn’t get back to sleep for an hour!  Bummer!  Here’s a question: what if this life is only a dream?  What if it isn’t really real at all?  What if the life that we are living is only a dream in the minds of the gods and we aren’t even real?  What if you and I are really just a dream to someone else?  Hey, we can become too bogged down with too much thinking (philosophy).  Many eastern religions become mired in “what is reality?”  Paul advised his young follower, Titus, in Titus 3:9, “But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.”  My dreams only serve to keep me awake at night … if that even makes sense.  But when the sun comes up, my best move is to pick up my Bible and read what the dear Lord has to say about reality.  After all, God is trustworthy and accurate.  Yes, He is!

No comments:

Post a Comment