Saturday, April 20, 2024

Wisdom and Understanding

 

I have been going to cardiac rehab for six months now, and the good Lord has reminded me to count my blessings.  As I go into Memorial Hospital MWF and up the stairs (of course, I do not take the elevator), I pass the cardiac surgery waiting area.  And since I arrive at 6 am, I see folk waiting for their heart procedure, just like I did six months ago.  No one is smiling or laughing because they are facing heart surgery.  But the good Lord reminds me that I am on the other side of that surgery.  And as I begin my morning exercises, I see the newbies come in to the 6:45 am class.  They have just had heart surgery and are getting their strength back at cardiac rehab.  They wait for the nurse to take their blood pressure and show them where to place the 3 contacts for their heart monitor.  The nurse shows them how to take their Oxygen level, pulse, and weight.  The nurse explains the speed of the treadmill, the incline of the treadmill, and the time on the treadmill.  And the treadmill is only one of the twenty machines in the room!  But I have been in cardiac rehab for six months and I know all about them.  Hey, I am an old hand at cardiac rehab, and I am an old hand at the Christian life.  And the Lord reminds me of my responsibility as an older Christian to teach younger Christians.  Us older folk should not intimidate new Christians; we should bring them along in the faith.  Paul reminds older men and women to be teachers in Titus 2:2-4.  Job said in Job 12:12, “With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.”  I praise the Lord for taking me through heart surgery, and I praise the Lord for taking me through 68 years of the Christian life.  May I encourage others along the way, is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment