Monday, August 14, 2017

II Timothy 4:9,13



II Timothy 4:9,13 Do thy diligence to come shortly unto me: The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments. Travel was much slower two thousand years ago when Paul was a missionary. Could you imagine walking from town to town?! If I were to leave my house walking to Springfield, TN, it would take seven or eight days of hard walking to get there! And that’s not counting the hardships of sleeping on the ground, making my own campfires, and carrying all of my food. There were no phones to call back and tell someone to bring an extra coat when they come to visit. Paul was in Macedonia and had sent Timothy back to Ephesus to straighten out some problems. Paul and Timothy were dear friends, and Paul was anxious for Timothy to get back to see him once again. Paul needed the coat that he had left in Troas and the books, but he especially wanted Timothy to bring the parchments. Those were Paul’s copies of the Scriptures. What a good reminder! We need warm clothing and we need books to read, but we really need the Bible. God’s Word can teach us how to live. It can make us better people. The Bible can help us to learn more about Jesus and how much He loves us. We need the Bible! Hey Paul, I get it! I hear you speaking over the years and years of time. You needed the Bible and I need the Bible too. Thank you for the reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment