Saturday, December 19, 2020

Bank in Chernovski

 


I had a group of six Americans with me, and we were handing out New Testaments in the Ukraine in 1992.  We had invitations printed out and included inside each of the Scriptures that we distributed.  I was looking forward to a good turn-out at the church in Chernovski.  That afternoon, I went to a bank to exchange dollars for Ukrainian koupons.  The going rate was about 300 to one.  After standing in a long line, I handed the teller my dollars and she gave me my koupons and a receipt.  I moved aside and counted my money as she waited on the next customer.  Puzzled, I counted my money again – she had given me too much money.  I stuck my head back if front of her window and told her that she had given me too much money.  Of course, she understood nothing that I had said in English and looked annoyed.  As I showed her the receipt and began to fan out the bills, she protested that she had given me the right amount – at least that is what I thought she said.  I insisted that she count the money, which she begrudgingly did.  After re-counting, she saw her mistake and realized that I was trying to give her money back – probably the first time that had ever occurred with her.  She shrugged, took the money back, and moved on to the next customer.  I was disappointed.  I had done a good deed, but she was not impressed.  But the people in line behind me were.  They had seen the event unfold, and they knew that the American had returned money that wasn’t his.  Then a man in line took out a piece of paper to show to me.  It was one of our invitations for the service that night.  At that moment, he knew that I was for real, and I am sure that he came to the service that evening to hear what I had to say.  Paul said it best in Romans 8:28, “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment