Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Fishing ... for Men

 


My mother’s father, my papaw, loved to fish.  Let me clarify that, papaw loved to sit on the riverbank and drown worms.  He would take a bag of peanuts, shell them and eat them while drowning the worms.  If he caught a fish, that was a bonus.  A day on the riverbank was a great day, whether he caught a fish or not.  But me, I’m different.  I don’t have the patience to wait for the fish to bite.  I can’t remember what fish likes what bait or what artificial lure or … well, you get it.  I’m just not a fisherman.  Hey, talking to someone about God is like fishing - only more challenging.  Men can think much better and faster than fish.  I try to size up the man and see what he likes and what he dislikes.  But my best tactic is simply to get them to Jesus.  Jesus does it all.  Talking to someone about their spiritual condition isn’t about how clever my words are or how convincing that I am; it’s about pointing them to Jesus Christ.  Jesus said in Matthew at 4:19, “… Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”  I can’t get very excited about fishing, but I can REALLY get excited about fishing for men!  It’s a thrill you can’t beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment