Friday, December 18, 2020

Chance Encounter

 


In 2004, we had a group of seven Americans going to Romania to distribute Scriptures and to work at a camp in Şiştarovăţ.  We flew into Munich, Germany and picked up our van at the airport.  We drove for two hours stopping in Mondsee, Austria for breakfast.  Mondsee is a rest stop on the A1 autobahn with a gorgeous view of the Alps and a beautiful lake nestled beneath.  I had German tracts, so I gave one to the busboy working in the dining room.  I used the few German words that I knew, and he used the few English words that he knew.  We both smiled, which was the best communication anyway.  He took the tract and began to read it.  We got our food, ate our breakfast, paid the bill, and began to leave.   I noticed that the young man was still reading the tract that I had given him.  As we got into our van, I said a silent prayer that the blessed Holy Spirit would help him to understand what he was reading.  I often think of that chance encounter in Austria and pray that I will see that young man in heaven someday.  Peter said in II Peter 3:9, “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”  The dear Lord wanted that young man to receive the gospel more than I wanted him to.  God had him at that place on that day at that exact time to receive a gospel witness.  The rest is up to him and the convicting Holy Spirit.  Hey, let me challenge you: hand out a tract today.  It may make a life-or-death difference to someone.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment