Thursday, December 24, 2020

Children

 


I remember well the night of August 21, 1972 because that was the night that my wife went into labor with our first child.  I thought that I was prepared, but I wasn’t.  Kathy and I had the nursery ready, but I was not prepared for the pressure that I felt.  Back then, there were no birthing classes, and the expectant fathers did not go into the labor and delivery room.  There were no ultra-sounds.  I had no idea if we were having a boy or a girl.  But on Monday morning, August 22 when the nurse brought out that tiny little girl, I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders.  I didn’t even feel that much pressure when I got married.  My wife had survived just fine for twenty-one years, and she didn’t really need me; she just wanted me as her husband.  But this new little life NEEDED me.  I felt the pressure to go to work every day and to keep my new little baby safe.  But hey, I can’t even imagine the pressure that Joseph felt!  Just think of the responsibility of caring for the Son of God!  So much could go wrong.  What if he did something wrong?!  David said in Psalm 127:3, “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.”  Although Jesus was the Incarnate Son of God, Joseph had the responsibility to raise him.  And Joseph did a good job of it.  I wanted to raise my daughter right, Joseph wanted to raise his son right, and you want to raise your child right.  It could be that you are helping to raise a grandchild.  It could be a niece or nephew.  Whoever you are helping to raise, do your best, and the good Lord will help with the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment