Friday, December 11, 2020

In the 80's

 


In the 80’s we lived one block from our church and Christian school.  On Wednesday afternoons, it was common for our four children to bring a friend or two home from school to hang out until the Wednesday evening church service.  Sunday mornings until Sunday afternoons were the same.  Melissa Vonnoh Howell was a dear friend of my oldest daughter Becky.  Melissa’s parents were missionaries in the Philippines, and Melissa lived with us one full year.  At Christmas time, Melissa couldn’t wait to open her Christmas gift, but we made her wait.  She would examine it, she would shake it, and she would try to see through the wrapping paper to determine what was inside.  Melissa’s curiosity was obsessing her!  One day she said - with me there - “Can’t I just take one little peek?” and she proceeded to peel off the tape from one corner of the package.  I grabbed the present and said, “No you can’t!  You have to wait until Christmas!”  Hey, that is how we should be at Christmas time when we think of God’s greatest gift of all: the gift of His dear Son as a babe in the manger in Bethlehem.  What a wonderful gift that was for all mankind!  Paul said in II Corinthians 9:15, “Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.”  I can say, amen to that!  I can’t wait to see Jesus, face to face, my Unspeakable Gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment