Monday, August 16, 2021

Fake Friends


I was a lowly freshman in college - for the second year - and living in a house dorm on campus.  One Saturday evening, a pizza craving went through the rooms.  It was after hours, so there was danger involved.  I didn’t have a car and I was broke: two strikes.  But Denny offered to let me use his old Pontiac and Rudy offered to pay for the pizza.  What great pals!  But on the way back from Mr. Fifteen, I was caught by college security.  I had to face the infamous demerit council the following Saturday morning.  But Denny wasn’t there, nor was Rudy, because they hadn’t gotten into trouble; I had.  It was right about then that I realized that I was the chump while they were laughing at me.  Hey, be careful who your friends are … or who you think your friends are.  They may be setting you up for a fall.  Solomon knew that, and Solomon warned his son in Proverbs 1:10, “My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.”  If you think you are being suckered into something, you probably are.  So don’t fall for it.  Run as fast as you can away from friends like Denny and Rudy.  Really.  Run, don’t walk.  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment