Saturday, August 21, 2021

Prepare


Often, I find out late Saturday that my kids are bringing dinner over Sunday afternoon.  So, I get busy cleaning up the house.  Don’t get me wrong, our house is not all that dirty, but over time, some areas are neglected.  Behind the couch, under the coffee table, around the table legs and chair legs in the dining room - those places where dust and crumbs accumulate.  I get out my swifter duster and my mop pads and do battle with the dust bunnies.  Israel had a similar problem in I Samuel 7.  For many years, the Philistines dogged Israel and made their lives miserable.  Finally, Samuel said that it was time to do something about it.  It was time to act.  But first, Samuel instructed Israel to prepare.  They had to do some housecleaning.  I Samuel 7:3, “And Samuel spake unto all the house of Israel, saying, If ye do return unto the LORD with all your hearts, then put away the strange gods and Ashtaroth from among you, and prepare your hearts unto the LORD, and serve him only: and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.”  Just like I prepare for company on Sunday afternoon, I should prepare my heart for Sunday morning when I go to the house of God.  How often do I just show up at church with dust and crumbs in my heart?  I need to clean up and be ready for the dear Lord to speak to me in Sunday school and in the preacher’s message.  Hey, do you need to do some spiritual cleaning up?  Fall on your knees and take a moment to come clean before the Lord.  It will be time well-spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment