Thursday, August 26, 2021

Late


Do you remember VHS tapes?  Did you go to Blockbuster and rent a movie in the 90’s?  I read that 16% of Blockbuster revenues was from late fees!  I believe it because I used to pay some of those late fees.  And I hated it when I paid those late fees because they were so avoidable.  If I would have been as diligent to return the movie as I was to rent the movie, I would have never paid a late fee!  And what was the fee for?  Nothing!  Just my punishment for being late.  Hey, now I would rather be an hour early than five minutes late.  But that’s just me.  Samuel was late to offer the sacrifice just before the battle with the Philistines.  King Saul was impatient and offered the sacrifice himself instead of waiting for Samuel, the priest to offer it.  Bad idea, Saul.  But Saul made it worse by making excuses for his impatience. Saul spoke in I Samuel 13:12, “Therefore said I, The Philistines will come down now upon me to Gilgal, and I have not made supplication unto the LORD: I forced myself therefore, and offered a burnt offering.”  Saul did the right thing, the wrong way, at the wrong time.  And for that, his kingdom was taken away from him.  “But it was just a little mistake.” Saul might have said.  “No, it wasn’t.  It was a big deal.” Samuel might have replied.  “But my movie is just one day late!” I said.  “That’ll be one dollar,” the Blockbuster cashier said.  Hey, don’t be late.  But more importantly, do the right thing, God’s way, at the right time.  You’ll be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment