Thursday, August 19, 2021

A Set-Up

One evening thirty-five years ago, I got home from teaching to find my children usher me into the living room with great ceremony.  They guided me to the recliner and sat me right down while one pulled up the footrest.  Another brought my slippers while a third handed me a glass of sweet tea.  I knew that they were up to something, but I went along with the game because I was enjoying it.  One began to massage my shoulders with their small hands.  After a while I sat up, set down my glass of tea, and said, “OK, what’s this all about? What do you want?”  Hey, that’s the way that it should be when you come to the dear Lord with a prayer request.  Don’t just start with your grocery list of needs; start by loving on the Lord.  Tell Him how much He means to you and how much you love Him (Matthew 6:9).  After a time of confession (Psalm 66:18) and thanksgiving, then, and only then, come to the throne of the Almighty with your needs (Philippians 4:6).  I’ve heard of the acrostic: ACTS

Adoration

Confession

Thanksgiving

Supplication

Don’t always come to God with give me, give me, give me.  Every once in a while, say, “Dear Lord, this is ______ (put your name in the blank).  I don’t want anything from you today; I just want to say that I love you.”  Every once in a while, just enjoy the goodness of God … no strings attached.


No comments:

Post a Comment