Saturday, December 18, 2021

Cornermometer


When my children were young, I was more reckless in my driving than I am now.  Now I drive like an old man.  Wait … I AM an old man!  Anyway, the kids would put something up on the dash as my “cornermometer”.  If it slid sideways when I was going around a corner, it officially registered that I was going too fast.  Often, I would use my wallet or a Bible as the cornermometer, which did not slide as easily giving me a little more grace.  When our children were sitting in the back seat (which was a bench style seat without seatbelts back then) I would ask, “Do you love your sister?” and whip around a corner sliding a brother into his sister.  That tactic would get complaints from the sister AND from the brother.  And then there was John sitting in the backwards facing “back, back” (third seat) of the big Buick station wagon.  He felt like he was in isolation, which he didn’t mind, and the other three didn’t mind either.  We had fun in those days!  Solomon said in Proverbs 17:22, “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine …”  I’m glad that we have wonderful memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment