Sunday, December 5, 2021

Inside and Out


Forty years ago, a dear friend had a fire in his house.  The damage was limited to the upstairs and the roof where the firemen had to chop into the roof to put out the fire.  I sheet rocked, painted, and roofed at their house for a few weeks.  One afternoon, the children asked me if I would like some coffee.  I said sure, and they brought me a cup.  But I noticed them snickering, so I knew that something was up.  They watched with glee as I sipped the coffee.  And when I got to the bottom of the cup, I discovered a porcelain roach made into the bottom of the cup.  Of course, I screamed in feigned horror and the kids laughed and laughed.  Hey, a coffee cup may look clean on the outside, but a bug on the inside is unacceptable.  Jesus said in Matthew 23:25, “Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.”  So, what about your heart?  Oh, you may look fine on the outside with your fancy clothes on Sunday at church, but what about your heart?  What is on the inside?  Are you clean inside and out, or are you like a hypocrite … clean on Sunday but dirty on Monday at work around the water cooler?  Think about it.  Should you talk to the dear Lord and make some changes?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment