Sunday, December 19, 2021

Reckoning


My Granny Whitely didn’t like antiques.  She said, “I spent enough time with those old things.  Why would I like them now?”  And I understand her thinking.  I go to Cracker Barrel to eat and see all of the antiques hanging from the ceiling.  But many of them are things that I had and used growing up!  My granddaughter likes to type on my antique manual Royal typewriter.  When she was little, she came upstairs and asked, “Granddaddy, where is the ‘delete’ button?”  Words are the same.  Kids do not understand, “Call the operator.”  With digital clocks and watches, they lose “clockwise”.  When I say, “He is a carbon copy of his father,” the younger generation is baffled.  What about “The day of reckoning”?  Reckoning is actually an accounting term that was used to mean “add up the numbers”.  So, the Day of Reckoning was when everything was finally totaled out.  Paul used “reckon” in Romans 6:11, “Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.”  What a great command for us!  We should account ourselves dead to living in sin, but alive to follow Jesus Christ.  Hey, do you get discouraged with life’s failures?  Do you fall into the same sin over and over again?  Are you frustrated in life?  Well, just count sin “dead” and God “alive”.  Erase all your failures of yesterday and start anew today with Jesus Christ.  Now that’s good accounting ... that’s good reckoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment