Saturday, December 11, 2021

On His Blindness


This morning I was thinking about giving Christmas presents, and I began to weep.  I am unable to travel much, and I just felt like I have let the Lord down.  What can I give my Savior this Christmas?!  My wife’s health has declined, and I need to stay close by; I just can’t travel like I used to.  I can’t do much for the dear Lord anymore.  But I immediately realized that the dear Lord doesn’t need my feeble efforts.  The Lord can find someone else to do the things that I had be doing.  Hey, God doesn’t need my help!  God has been making it without my help for centuries!  But there is one thing that I can do for God that He cannot do for Himself: I can give Him my praise!  David reminds us in Psalm 100:4&5, “Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.”  The old poet, John Milton felt just like me in 1655 when he penned the poem, “On His Blindness”.  Milton felt that a writer who had gone blind was useless to God.  But like me, Milton realized that God is capable of running the universe without his help.  Milton rested in the fact that, although he was limited, he was ready to serve the dear Lord in any way that he could.  His poem ends with the line, “They also serve who only stand and wait.”  Hey, if I am willing to serve the Lord, I am actually serving the Lord.  After all, Who caused Milton’s blindness?  Who caused my wife’s declining health?  So, what about you?  Are you ready to serve God?  Just serve the Lord with what you have and leave the rest to the all-knowing Creator of the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment