Friday, January 21, 2022

Cornerstone


Years ago, I was helped some friends lay the foundation for their house.  The concrete footer was poured, and I laid the concrete blocks for the foundation.  First, I staked out “batter boards” at each corner.  Then I strung lines from the batter boards for the outside of the block walls.  I had to be exact because the entire house would go up where those lines were.  I adjusted the lines to make them the length and width of the outside measurement of the house and adjusted them to be square.  Next, I had to find the highest of the four corners.  The highest corner was the starting corner.  I could add mortar to a lower corner to make the wall level, but I could not take off mortar from a higher corner to make the wall level.  So, the highest corner was my starting point - my cornerstone.  I measured the length, width, and height of the foundation from that corner.  Every measurement of the house originated from that one corner.  Hey, Jesus Christ is called the cornerstone for the Christian.  Everything in the Christian’s life emanates from Jesus.  Paul said in I Corinthians 3:11, “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.”  Jesus is “the author and finisher of our faith”.  It’s all about Jesus.  Put Jesus first in your life, and you’ll never be sorry that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment