Friday, August 11, 2023

Awake at 2:81 AM

 


My dear wife and I have different ideas of what a “good night’s sleep” is.  She likes to go to sleep, sleep all the night through, and wake up in the morning.  But I like to go to sleep, wake up in two hours, look at the clock, and say to myself, “It’s only 12:30 AM; I have six more hours to sleep.”  And then I wake up at 2:30 AM, look at the clock, and say to myself, “It’s only 2:30 AM.  I have four more hours to sleep.”  And so on and so forth until the morning.  But this morning, I woke up, looked at the clock, and saw that it was 2:81 AM.  I was startled wide awake.  I had never been awake at 2:81 AM before.  So, I got up, turned on the lamp, found my glasses, and looked at the clock more closely.  But with my glasses on, it was 2:31 AM.  But now I was wide awake and couldn’t go back to sleep, whether it was 2:81 AM or 2:31 AM.  David must have had trouble sleeping too, because David said in Psalms 4:8, “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.”  David’s key to a good night’s sleep was to leave his fears and troubles with the dear Lord and let the Creator of the Universe take care of them.  And with God in control, David could sleep like a baby!  Not a bad idea, David, not a bad idea at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment