Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Stay Focused

 


My pastor borrowed my pressure washer, and I needed to borrow it back for a project.  He is an early riser … a really early riser.  He often goes in to work at 3 am on Saturdays so he will have the rest of the day to finish his sermon preparations.  So, when I dropped off Kathy at dialysis at 5:30 am yesterday morning, I went home, traded my car for my truck (Kathy doesn’t like to ride in my old truck), and drove the 20 miles to Brother Jamie’s house.  Easier said than done.  The early morning dewy had my truck windows fogged up and my headlights are slightly hazed over (another project for another day).  The back roads to Noble, Georgia are unfamiliar to me and sometimes the shoulder of the road is non-existent.  But I remembered a trick that my dad taught me: when driving at night, keep your eyes on the shoulder solid line.  Don’t look at the oncoming traffic lights, they will blind you.  Just keep your eyes and right wheels on that solid line and let the oncoming traffic take care of itelf.  Good advice, and it worked.  I drove at speed limit (or a little over) and got to Pastor’s house safely in good time.  What a great spiritual lesson!  Keep your eyes on Jesus!  Don’t look at circumstances: good or bad.  They are only distractions that keep you from following the Lord.  Matthew 16:24, “Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”  Great advice for the disciples and great advice for us!  Don’t let the distractions of life cause you difficulties; keep your eyes on Jesus.  Like me traveling on curvy, unfamiliar roads, don’t be distracted; stay focused.  And whether it's traveling to Noble Georgia or traveling to heaven, stay focused and arrive safely!

No comments:

Post a Comment