Friday, August 25, 2023

Big or Small?

Sunday, I had a dilemma.  My wife made a pound cake Saturday (and it was delicious) and I wanted to take some to church Sunday morning. Brother Carl makes coffee about 9 am and many of us meet in the cafeteria for fellowship (and food) before Sunday school.  So Saturday, Kathy said, “Cut the pieces small because the ladies don’t like big pieces.” But I know the men.  And the men like big pieces.  Hence, my dilemma: big or small pieces?  So I compromised.  I cut them a little bigger than the ladies would really want, but a little smaller than the men would really want.  So, the result?  both the ladies and the men were annoyed at me.  The pieces of cake were too big for the ladies but too small for the men.   And the lesson is: don’t try to please everyone; it just won’t work.  The apostle Peter had a similar dilemma in Acts chapter 5.  The Jewish leaders commanded him not to preach in the name of Jesus Christ.  So, should Peter obey their command, or should Peter obey God?  Well, for Peter, it was an easy decision.  Act 5:29, “Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.”  Good decision, Peter, good decision!  So, today, don’t try to please everyone because you can’t . Please God and He will be happy with you, and pleasing God will make you happy.   And the next time that I slice a cake for Sunday school, I will cut man-sized pieces, because that way I will get a bigger piece too. ;<)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment