Monday, August 14, 2023

Comfort Food

 



I think that last Tuesday, I may have made the perfect tomato sandwich, and I am pleased to share the details with you.  Last Tuesday I understood the meaning of “comfort food” like never before.  First, I had to collect the four components before I could assemble my masterpiece.  My wife and I have different opinions on the perfect loaf of bread.  She likes “seedy” bread with oats and other grains, but I prefer the plain white bread.  I found that Lewis Bakery bakes just the perfect bread.  I like to use the beginning of the bread.  Some people call it the heel or the end, but it is the beginning (a more positive name).  And I had to use real mayonnaise, not salad dressing, but Hellman’s, or Dukes real mayonnaise.  And lastly, I found these huge, one-slice-per-sandwich tomatoes at Brown’s Market (exit 345 in Ringgold).  I bought five tomatoes and narrowed the competition down to the one perfect tomato, which I chilled in the refrigerator overnight.  So, Tuesday at high noon, I put mayonnaise on both slices of bread, cut the perfect thickness of tomato (out of the middle of the tomato) and sprinkled just the right amount of salt on the tomato (to enhance the flavor) and there it was!  I almost felt bad to eat it, but I did … and I savored every bite!  Hey, do you have your “comfort food”?  Some food dish that brings you back to your childhood and a happier time?  Comfort is a wonderful thing!  And I am glad that the good Lord is my source of comfort when my soul needs a spiritual hug.  Paul said in II Corinthians 1:3&4, “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.”  The Lord comforts us so that we can comfort others.  And as we share the good Lord’s comfort with others, they can share that same comfort with others, and the cycle goes on and on.  Hey, be a part of God’s plan for comfort today.  Be a blessing to someone!  And since summer is almost over, eat a tomato sandwich in my honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment