Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Foolishness


I was about ten years old when I got on a bow and arrow kick.  I worked for an old lady on Saturdays and brought home some old wooden arrows that she had discarded.  My dad helped me make a bow.  We used a thin metal piano wire as a string.  That home-made bow was pretty powerful.  At Christmas, I got an old-school recurved “Ben Pearson” 20-pound pull bow (which is pretty wimpy by today’s standards).  My next younger brother and I would take my bow and arrows over to a friend’s house and shoot in the pasture across the road from his house.  I would pull back as hard as I could, aim straight up in the air and let the arrow fly.  The arrow would go so high that we would lose sight of it, but then we would scatter and run as fast as we could before it fell to the ground, who knows where.  What a reckless, crazy thing to do!  But that’s what middle school kids do when left unsupervised.  I am surprised that one of us was not killed with an arrow in the head!  Solomon said in Proverbs 22:15, “Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.”  I am so glad that my parents did what they could to drive foolishness from my heart.  Well, at least they tried.  Ha, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment