Thursday, May 14, 2020

Keeping Promises


I graduated from college in 1978.  It took me eleven years, but that’s another story for another day.  I began teaching at Berean Academy in Hixson, Tennessee.  That first summer I did roofing.  I had a 1953 GMC pickup truck with a straight 6 - 302 engine.  I paid Mr. Elbert Kilgore $200 for the truck in four payments.  My first roof was a two story 4/12 pitch that was fairly easy.  I gave the man a contract price and told him that I would replace any rotted decking underneath.  I had walked over the roof and figured on replacing two areas.  But after I tore off the old shingles, I discovered extensive damage to the plywood sheathing.  But I had given my word.  I had no choice but to replace the bad plywood and finish the job.  I gave the man the bill, and he said, “I noticed that you had to replace more plywood than you planned.”  I nodded in agreement.  He went on, “I know we had an agreed price, but I want to pay you for the extra plywood that you bought.”  And he did.  Technically, he didn’t have to, but morally, he knew he should.  I learned that day … about honesty and about bidding on a roof.  David said in Psalm 15:4, “In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.”  When you make a promise, you should hold up your end of the bargain.  Even if it hurts.  God will honor you if you do.  Do right; God is watching … and others are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment