Friday, May 22, 2020

Vacation Bible School


For the past eleven years I have had Vacation Bible Schools in the summer.  I have had a creation theme with “Creation Creatures” featured each night.  The creatures were highlighted from Africa, Australia, the desert, the oceans, and so forth.  But this summer, I am not even sure if VBS will happen … well, at least in its present form.  Creative people will come up with something to reach the kids.  Hey, I have tricked out my 1996 GMC pick up to sell snow cones and give out Chick tracts with each purchase.  But I remember those Bible School days back when I was a kid.  They were great!  My Aunt Dorothy always had great ideas.  Several years we had a turtle race on the final day.  It’s hard to train a turtle for a race (that doesn’t even sound right).  One year, I caught a painted water terrapin.  That thing flew like lightening.  The only problem was that it was afraid of people.  We placed but didn’t finish first.  Oh well.  From those days of VBs as a kid until the days of VBS as a grandpa, the goal is the same: reach boys and girls for Christ while they are young.  Solomon said in Proverbs 22:6, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”  In this case, it literally applies to me.  Hey, what are you doing to reach children for the Lord?  If nothing else, just take them with you to church.  It certainly can’t hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment