Tuesday, May 26, 2020

My "Blind Spot"


About a year ago, I was in an accident on I-24 as I merged onto the Moore Road entrance ramp.  I pride myself in being a safe driver, but the other guy made three mistakes that I can’t prove, so the accident was my fault.  I know that I sound like a whiner but hear me out.  First, He was traveling way too fast, and he was trying to get ahead of me before I merged onto the interstate.  Second, he switched from the fast lane to the right lane (my merging lane) to pass another car on the right.  Bad form.  And third, he changed lanes in my “blind spot”.  Now, you may ask, “What exactly is a blind spot?”  I’ll explain.  A driver has three mirrors: two on the sides and one in the middle.  When you look in the middle mirror, you only see what is absolutely behind you.  When you look in the left mirror, you see what is kind of behind and to the left of you.  But if a car is overtaking you on the left, (like that guy was) when his car comes even with your back wheel, he is too far ahead to be seen in the left side mirror.  You don’t see him until he comes even with your car and you see him out of the corner of your eye.  So, for a brief moment, as the driver is overtaking you, there is a “blind spot” where you can’t see him.  You must look over your left shoulder before changing lanes to be sure a car is not in your “blind spot”.  Which I did, and no one was there, because this guy was coming from the far left lane behind me coming on fast.  He didn’t expect me to merge; he expected me to slow down and let him get by, because where he was going was obviously more important than me merging.  Hey. often we have a moral “blind spot” too.  We may be sharp with others and not realize it.  We may have all the answers and come across as a know-it-all.  We may be overbearing in conversations.  So, what is the responsibility of a friend?  You should confront someone that you love when they have a “blind spot” so that they may correct it.  Paul said in Galatians 6:1, “Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.”  The key is to be humble about the confrontation because we will need to be confronted ourselves at a later time.  Hey, let’s help one another and be aware of “blind spots” in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment