Saturday, May 23, 2020

Two-Wheeler


I remember the first two-wheeler that I owned.  It was a sixteen-inch direct drive, red and white bike with hard rubber wheels and NO training wheels.  I paid for it with a whole hand-full of change that I had saved - my dad put some dollars with my change to the neighbor man.  The first time I rode a big bicycle was at my cousin Gene’s house.  He had a 24-inch bicycle and his older sister Carol had a 26-inch bicycle.  Because Carol’s bicycle was a girl’s bike, I could ride it easier than Gene’s.  I took Carol’s big bike up to the top of their steep, steep driveway, straddled the girl’s bicycle frame, positioned the right pedal forward on the down stroke, stood up on that pedal, and I was off.  By the time I got to the bottom of their hill, I knew how to ride a 26-inch bicycle.  Good thing.  I think that was the first of many crazy things that I have done in my life.  Hey, it’s one thing to have confidence in your own self, but it’s a different thing to have the confidence that you know what you’re doing about your eternal soul.  I may have confidence in my bike-riding abilities, but I have no idea of how to get to heaven safely.  I need to put my confidence in Someone Who has been to heaven and in Someone Who can get me there safe and sound.  And Jesus Christ is just that One!  He can carry me all the way through to heaven.  David said in Psalm 118:8, “It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.”  Good advice, David.  Good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment